WHY DO A DETOX & CLEANSE?
With our daily exposure to chemicals and heavy metals in our food and environment, we unknowingly accumulate toxins over time. This toxin build-up in the body can lead to all sorts of health symptoms including allergies, fatigue, joint pain or chronic constipation to mention a few (read more on toxin build-up).
It’s therefore recommended to do at least one full body cleanse a year, though more regular cleanses on a quarterly basis are ideal.
Cleansing your body on a regular basis can:
• Speed up a slow metabolism
• Enhance mental clarity
• Boost immunity
• Revitalise energy levels
• Improve digestion
• Lose weight
Whether you choose to follow a detox protocol or opt to eat more foods to help your body to push out toxins and remineralise for restored vitality on a daily basis, there are a handful of superfoods that are essential for cleansing – especially spirulina and chlorella or our LEAN green superfood blend which contains all the most potent superfoods ( spirulina, wheatgrass, moringa, barleygrass, hemp protein, baobab) for cleansing, conveniently preblended in a protein-rich formula.
TOP 2 CLEANSING SUPERGREEN SUPERSTARS
Dark leafy greens are considered some of the most effective natural detoxifying foods to the body, due to their special nutritional properties ( micronutrients and phytonutrients) that assist the body in removing toxins and cleansing the organs. Two of the most powerful detoxifying foods out there are mineral-rich algae: chlorella and spirulina.
These micro-algae detoxifiers are considered heavy metal chelators and are dense in a nutrient called ‘chlorophyll‘, which gives these superfoods the unique ability to deeply cleanse the body. Studies have shown that due to the presence of this active compound ‘chlorophyll’ these superfoods can promote powerful detoxification by binding to the heavy metals, which few foods can do. By pairing with these toxic molecules, it supports the body’s detoxification process. Chlorophyll also assists the body in oxygenating the blood and improving blood circulation, which in return synergistically supports the body’s cleansing process. Spirulina and chlorella also contain Growth Factors that are important for maintaining a variety of cellular processes including stimulating cell proliferation, wound healing, and occasionally cellular differentiation.
This means it :
- boosts the immune system
- helps repair nerve tissues throughout the body
- may act as a preventative for degenerative brain and nerve disorders
If you bring these two supergreens into your daily diet, you can keep those toxin levels down, your digestive system active and your energy up.
Find out whether chlorella or spirulina is the best fit for you in our spirulina vs chlorella comparison chart.
SUPERFOODS FIT FOR DETOXIFICATION & CLEANSING THE BODY
“Supergreens are extraordinarily high in detoxification supporting minerals and fibre. Fibre is not only essential for cleansing the body’s digestive system, but for binding to metals in the body and helping to draw them out.”
When there is a build-up of toxins in our bodies coupled with natural stressors (chronic stress, physical inactivity and even the lack of quality sleep) the body’s natural detoxing system, including liver function, can be impaired. Moringa in this sense acts as an excellent liver detoxifier (the body’s main detoxifying organ) and has the ability to rejuvenate and restore proper liver function by:
- reducing liver damage and oxidative stress with its high antioxidant contents – Increased levels of free radicals from stress and toxins from our day-to-day activities can lead to liver damage due to oxidative stress. When in this state, the liver’s ability to function and flush toxins from our body is hampered. Moringa prevents this by balancing the antioxidant levels within the liver.
- restoring liver enzymes – According to a study from the Food and Chemical Toxicology journal, moringa is also found to help in liver enzyme restoration. When the liver is overused, its enzymes get depleted, in turn, decreasing its ability to function properly. Moringa helps restore such enzymes for the liver to function in blood detoxing, bile production, fat metabolism, and nutrient processing.
- reducing liver inflammation – Inflammation is a key culprit in the development of chronic diseases and illnesses. In the case of liver function, increased consumption of unhealthy food – those that are high in refined sugar and unhealthy fats – results in increased inflammation in the organ due to the process of lipid synthesis (the breakdown of fats), which could eventually disrupt the liver’s ability to function. Moringa’s anti-inflammatory properties counter this.
2. Wheatgrass & Barleygrass
Both wheatgrass and barleygrass are nutritional powerhouses containing a myriad of minerals, fibre, vitamins, antioxidants and essential amino acids – all of which participate in the body’s natural cleansing system. Both wheatgrass and barleygrass contain over 90 minerals and is considered one of the world’s most nutrient-dense superfoods to ever exist. Both offer the body health benefits which include:
cleansing of the lymphatic system which expels toxins
alkalisng the body’s pH to reduce acidity and prevent immune system compromise
reducing oxidative stress through the presence of a powerful antioxidant compound called superoxide dismutase (SOD)
Other superfoods which can be used daily to aid the body’s natural cleansing process include:
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT YOUR BODY’S NATURAL CLEANSING PROCESSES
Although the body is fully equipped to handle toxins and other unwanted substances, it is still vital to support and provide it with the right building blocks for success. By eating foods that aid the body’s natural detoxification and following these very simple lifestyle recommendations below, you can enhance your’s detoxification system.
Optimise your body’s cleansing process by:
- getting adequate sleep & quality sleep – this is possibly one of the most underrated, but crucial factors in charge of your entire body’s operating system, which doesn’t nearly get enough recognition for its forth. Sleep is a most critical factor in maintaining equilibrium (homeostasis) in the body and allowing it’s daily functions to function optimally. For one, it allows your brain to recharge and remove toxic waste byproduct buildup that has accumulated throughout the day (one such a waste product is a protein called beta-amyloid, which contributes to the development of Alzheimer’s disease). It also allows your lymphatic draining system (which protects your body from illness-causing invaders and is part of your immune system regulation) to cleanse the entire body.
- drinking enough clean water – the body’s cells must continuously be repaired to function optimally and break down nutrients for your body to use as energy.However, these processes release waste — in the form of urea and carbon dioxide — which can harm the body when it builds up in the bloodstream. Water allows these waste products to efficiently be. transported by removing them through urination, breathing, or sweating. So staying properly hydrated is important for detoxification. Monitor your water intake in the form of liquids, keeping in mind that fresh food, drinks etc. also count towards your water intake.
- removing processed foods & refined sugar from your diet – processed and refined foods are generally speaking lower in water, lower in nutrients, higher in calories and high in preservatives or cell-damaging additives. High consumption of these have been linked to obesity and other chronic diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes to mention a few. Taking refined sugar foods can cause fatty liver, a condition that negatively impacts liver function, and consuming junk food regualry can intereve with your body’s natural systems through toxic chemicals, hormone mimicking substances and more.
In essence more regular quality sleep, fresh water and fresh food should amply benefit your body’s detoxification system and other health functions. To learn more about heavy metal detoxing here in our article.